The Neighborhood at a Glance
White Rock Hill is south of Franklin Hill and is bounded by Florida Avenue, the James River, and Fishing Creek. The hill was named for the outcropping of white quartz rocks along the bluff of the James River that were a well-known local landmark. A portion of the hill was incorporated into the city in 1870. Similar to Franklin Hill, steep hillsides prevented development and the area was not fully annexed into the city until 1908.
White Rock Cemetery
In 1885 Jackson Street Methodist Church established White Rock Hill Cemetery for African Americans on High Street. The seven acre cemetery was used by Jackson Street Methodist, Diamond Hill Baptist, and White Rock Baptist for over 100 years. Approximately 4,000 people are buried there, one of whom is believed to be Ota Benga, a pygmy from the Congo.