The Neighborhood at a Glance
Bounded by the James River, Blackwater Creek, and H Street the hill is named for the Daniel family. Dr. George Cabell purchased a 757 acre plantation in 1805 which he named Point of Honor. His land included much of what is now Daniel's Hill plus the river islands and the flood plain where Griffin Pipe Foundry now stands. The brick home known as Point of Honor was completed in 1815, but by 1830 but his eldest son and wife who inherited the property had died. Point of Honor was then inherited by Judge William Daniel Sr., the wife's father-thus the name Daniel's Hill.
Judge William Daniel Jr.
By the 1850s, Judge William Daniel Jr. began selling off parcels and homes such as the Dabney-Scott-Adams house were built. The Daniel family built "Rivermont" in 1852, an expansive Greek Revival home on F Street that gave its name to the large development and neighborhood that followed.
In 1891 a steel bridge was built over Blackwater Creek and the Rivermont Company was formed. With a bridge and trolley connection to downtown, the company designed one of the first planned suburbs in America and Lynchburg expanded several miles to the west.
In the photo on the left, the D Street Bridge is in the foreground and overlooks the Daniel's Hill neighborhood. The Rivermont Bridge can be seen on the right before it was encased in concrete in 1925.
She and husband Col. Robert Owen lived at Point of Honor during the Civil War. Daughter of the last hereditary chief of the Western Cherokee, she aided General Early’s ruse regarding the number of Confederate troops in town during the Battle of Lynchburg. Her son Robert Latham Owen Jr. was one of the first two U.S. senators from Oklahoma.