The Neighborhood at a Glance
Franklin Hill is one of the most clearly defined hills in Lynchburg. Bounded by the Lynchburg Expressway to the north and the James River to the east, Florida Avenue makes up its southern border and Fishing Creek defines the west. It is believed the hill was named after Benjamin Franklin.
Grace Street is one of the main thoroughfares in the neighborhood and was once the Campbell County Turnpike, now Route 501. A number of the streets in this neighborhood are named after trees including Pine, Walnut, Poplar, Hazel, Maple Cherry, and Gum. Lots were sold in Franklin Hill starting in the 1820s but the topography and a lawsuit over some lots hindered development until the 20th century.
The most well known landmark in the neighborhood is Presbyterian Cemetery, founded in 1824 and home to many intricate and artistic tombstones. Burials include folk artist Queena Stovall, Confederate Generals Garland and Rodes, and members of early Lynchburg families.